Monday, July 17, 2023

The Spankerman











\

 (Sung to the tune of "The Wellerman")


There once was a girl turned o'er a knee

And the name of the girl was Eliza McT

Her skirt came up, her panties down

A spanking did unfold


Soon may the Spankerman come

With palm and brush to warm her bum

And then when the paddlin's done

The corner she will go.


It wasn't many minutes more

Before her bum felt awfully sore

She kicked and squirmed and loudly swore

He spanked on hard and bold


Soon may the Spankerman come

With palm and brush to warm her bum

And then when the paddlin's done

The corner she will go.


She cried and begged she'd had her fill

But for all I know he spanks her still

So ladies, know despite your will

For spanks you're ne'er too old


Soon may the Spankerman come

With palm and brush to warm your bum

And then when the paddlin's done

The corner you will go


There's a long winded explanation to this, if you're interested....

A few years back, when COVID hit and people had to, for the most part, stay home, one of the things that helped me keep my sanity--I discovered YouTube reaction videos.

If you're not familiar, these are homemade videos of people listening and reacting to songs (or movies or TV shows) that they haven't heard or seen before.  It was interesting to get a new perspective on what, to me, are old songs.  It was also gratifying to hear their positive responses to music I grew up with and listen to them gushing about the talent of so many old artists.  I keep forgetting that I'm "old"...lol.  And that there are, indeed, people who can legitimately say, "The Beatles?  Who's that?", or that think Paul McCartney's only band was Wings.  They've never heard of the Kinks, or Pink Floyd, or Jethro Tull or so many other great bands.  People who somehow are not familiar with the song, "Comfortably Numb".  It makes my jaw drop to hear them say it, but it's true.

I was looking around YouTube and finding audio clips of some old songs when I first enountered someone reacting to Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath".   I watched their video and got hooked right away, and started watching other reactors and the songs they were getting exposed to for the first time.  A lot of them are fantastic in their knowledge of music and singing, and hearing them break down different aspects of a song was fascinating.  And this all lead me to....acapella groups.

I was familiar with Pentatonix, so I watched many people reacting to their rendition of the Leonard Cohen song, "Hallelujah."  This led me to a couple other acapella groups that I hadn't heard of before--VoicePlay and Home Free.  They're all fantastic, but I wound up being particularly taken by Home Free. For one thing, they were originally started here in Minnesota by two brothers back in their high school or college days.  For another thing, one of their members is from the same town that I currently live in, and his job before joining the group was at a place that I'd also worked at, so I felt a bit of a connection.  I've seen many songs and reactions to all three groups.  If you ever have the time, look them up and listen to a few of their songs and arrangements.  I think you'll be amazed at what they can do and how they sound.  Try VoicePlay's "My Mother Told Me" followed by "Valhalla Calling" for starters.  With Pentatonic, listen to "Hallelujah", their "Daft Punk" medley, and "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Anyway, in the midst of all this, the YouTube sensation, "The Wellerman" popped up.  A lot of people have covered it.  Home Free released a video made during COVID times called, "Sea Shanty Medley" and the song that starts it off was a few verses of "The Wellerman".  That's how I first got exposed to it.  (For those of you who are curious, the Weller brothers were in the business of providing supplies for sailing ships, so when the Wellerman (or Weller Man) comes, he's bringing necessities for whatever voyage may be upcoming--things like "sugar and tea and rum").

I listened to the medley, then went and listened to the full version on YouTube.  I've done many song parodies on this blog in the past, so it was no surprise that the idea for "The Spankerman" eventually made it's way into my head.  And the verses above are the result.  I hope you enjoyed it.

And if you read this all the way to the end--congratulations!  LOL

4 comments:

Hermione said...

Well, I made it to the end, and what an interesting post. I too am "old" but you have intrigued me. I love "Hallelujah" so will check out Pentatonix right now.

hugs,
Hermione

Dr. Ken said...

Hermione -- You get a gold star for reading all of that! lol It's amazing what acapella groups can do by just using their voices. They almost all have someone beatboxing, and what they can is amazing as well. And if you love a good bass voice, the three groups I mentioned have some of the best in Avi Kaplan (Early Pentatonix), Tim Faust (Home Free), and Geoff Castelluci (VoicePlay). I hope you enjoy the Pentatonix "Hallelujah". Let me know your reaction.

Jimc said...

Great backstory and you really are quite clever at making spanking ditties. Very well done.thank you.
Jim

Dr. Ken said...

Jim -- Thanis for taking the time to read it!