Wednesday, February 6, 2008

1st draft, 2nd draft, 3rd draft......

The blog is about 3 weeks old, now. I still feel very new to this--heck, I AM still new to this. And if I've learned anything in these 3 weeks, it would have to be this: Bloggin' ain't easy (with apologies to Kenny Flyy...)

I constantly find myself at work thinking about the post I wrote and put up the night before. Inevitably, the more I think about it, the less satisfied I am with it. I usually find myself focusing on a particular paragraph or two, and realize that it doesn't really say what I wanted it to. Or it just sounds stupid. I spend the rest of the time at work mentally smacking myself in the forehead going, "Idiot! Why did you write that??"

Then I come home and rewrite it. Call it damage control.

Of course, by then some damage has been done, and an unknown number of people have probably read it in the original form and are thinking, "Idiot! How could he have written that?" And then they go and tell their friends about what they read on some schmuck's blog.

What I really need to do is write my posts out beforehand, and then edit it, and rewrite it, and edit it some more, and not be in a big hurry to get something posted. Hopefully it's a lesson that will sink in sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I'll keep going back to older posts and rewrite as I deem necessary. So before you go telling your friends, you might want to recheck the post. The incredibly stupid statement you read the night before might be slightly less stupid now. :-)

2 comments:

Indy said...

You must have corrected all the things you were worried about, Dr. Ken, as I've just finished reading it and saw nothing of the sort. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Beautiful picture at the top of your blog. Which of the 10,000 lakes is it?

Best,
Indiana

Dr. Ken said...

INDIANA -- actually, I'm not sure about the picture. It might be somewhere along the Mississippi River...
Thanks for the kind word. Please do keep coming back, and hopefully you'll find something worth reading from time to time...

Dr. Ken