Saturday, January 26, 2013

5-Year Blogiversary Special -- pt. 4

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see
That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please......

These are the opening lyrics to the theme song from "M*A*S*H".  No surprise, then, that during the run of the TV show, the theme was always played as an instrumental version of the song.  The lyrics don't exactly say, "COMEDY", and "M*A*S*H" was primarily a comedy with many dramatic overtones.

I bring up the lyrics because that's obviously what Endart was referencing when he called this drawing, "Discipline Is Painful".  Comedy is the emphasis here, as Hawkeye apparently is attempting to change Margaret Hoolihan's nickname from "Hot Lips" to "Hot Bottom".



And speaking of theme songs.....

Here's the story
Of a lovely lady
Who was bringing up three very bratty girls.....

Okay, that's not the way the theme really went, but it certainly would fit with the Endart take-off on the show.  Clearly, Mrs. Brady knows exactly when to do with those bratty young ladies, and those plaintive whines of "Marsha Marsha Marsha!" have quickly become pleas of "Mercy!  Mercy!  Mercy!" .  The drawing is, of course, titled "3 Very Lovely Girls".



One more theme, and I'll give my singing voice a rest--and I'm sure you'll all be happy about that!  Let's just say that no one would turn around for me if this was "The Voice".

Baby, if you ever wondered
Wondered whatever became of me
I'm living on the air in Cincinnati
Cincinnati WKRP.

Again, the drawing's title is a take-off on the theme song, "Baby Did You Ever Wonder".....probably as in, did you ever wonder how the seemingly incompetent station manager, Arthur Carlson, still managed to inspire such love and devotion from his employees, such as Jennifer Marlow (Loni Anderson) and intern Bailey Quarters?  Mr. Carlson might have been very good at something, after all, and the drawing might be the answer.



We go from theme songs to what most would consider the impossible.  In fact, it is impossible.  These two shows never did a crossover episode.  Still, you can't help but wonder....what would happen if a witch went up against a genie?  Well, if the genie is outnumbered two to one, I would guess the genie loses and has to pay the penalty.  In "Spells 'n' Spanks", Samantha, with cousin Serena watching, deals out the punishment to Jeannie.  No witchcraft required to do this!



For the last drawing today, most people would look at this and also say it was impossible....or, at the very least, highly unlikely.  In fact, anyone who ever watched "The Avengers" would probably say a more likely scenario would be for Emma Peel to be spanking John Steed.  Still, that's the nice thing about fantasy art--the outcome can be whatever you want it to be.  And it's quite clear that this is what Endart envisioned in, "Glowing Peel".




6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Congratulations, Dr. Ken! I'm really enjoying this series.

Hugs,
Bonnie

Just some guy in flyover country said...

Very cute!! I remember watching all these shows when I was a kid, well except the Avengers, a little before my time.

It made me think of some spanking references in the shows that I remember: When Major Burns was whining to "Hot Lips" about Hawkeye and Pierce picking on him. She ask him to get her hairbrush, he replies, "I don't think spanking them will do any good".

In Bewitched, I remember Samantha being in a store shopping for a doll for her daughter. The shop-keeper is showing her a doll with accessories like "hairbrush" and the doll talks. When Samantha pulls the string to make it talk, the doll says something like a spoiled little girl might say. Samantha suggest the doll should come with a hairbrush for both ends.

And I will not even admit to the endless hours of The Brady Bunch and WKRP in Cincinnati I sat through hoping to see Marsha or Bailey getting a sound smack on the bottom.

Love reading your blog,

JSG

Dr. Ken said...

Bonnie -- thank you! After all the countless hours I've spent and the enjoyment I've received from reading your blog, I'm happy that I can return the favor!

JSG--Good memory! I never watched the Brady Bunch, but I was certainly a big fan of the other shows included in this post, but even I don't remember those lines!
I do remember one episode of "The Avengers", where John Steed needed to get some information from a sweet young thing (possibly a bratty young thing), and he grabs here, turns her over his knee and....tickles her until she talks.
Imagine my disappointment....

Anonymous said...

hi ken, thank you for the new post i enjoyed the tv series and i hope that you might do a series on the movie spankings your next blogversy. Thank you so much for posting these. I do rember these and thought the Jeanine getting spanked by Samatha and Serena as a a great shot. (from my memory of this one there was actually a story behind it as Jeaninie was on NBC and Bewitched was on ABC and there was some story that bewitched had beaten Jeanie in the ratings so endart did a story about it. I did think Wkrp and Avengers did have some of the most spankable (Although i did think Wilma Deering and Princess Ardula in Buck Rogers were extremely spankable as well. Thanks again for sharing these. I hope that there are more because there was such a treasure trove of spankable females. have a great day.
Jim

web-ed said...

Lots of fun with your 5-year anniversary, Ken. I don't watch much TV these days, but I remember the old shows, including The Avengers. It may interest you to know that there were two little swats given by Steed (Patrick Macnee) to Emma (Diana Rigg): one a light tap with a fencing foil, and the second an actual hand-to-bottom contact when their bodies have been taken over by a husband-wife team of enemy agents. I posted the first a while ago, and one of these days I'll get around to the second, which is in my files waiting.

Actually, Steed also suggested to an earlier partner, Cathy Gale, that she "should be caned in front of the class" but unfortunately didn't do so. In the series' final, goofy year, Steed was paired up with trainee Tara King, who seemed much more submissive than Emma and who as a trainee could have used the occasional six of the best, but it never happened.

Dr. Ken said...

Jim--Someone better versed in movies should probably take on that task.

web-ed--You don't watch much TV these days, and I watch WAY too much. Thanks for the information on "The Avengers", I definitely did not remember the two incidents you mentioned. I do remember Tara King. I also remember "The New Avengers", where a young Joanna Lumley could also have used some good OTK training at the hands of Steed or the other agent in their group. Gambit.