Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Statement Of Policy (Kinda)

  And now, a brief News Flash......


There are a few people out there--at least three, maybe more--who have probably been wondering, "I sent in a comment, why didn't it ever get published?" 

As you may know, I moderate the comments to this blog, so I get to see them first before okaying them to be added to any post.  And I have a few arbitrary rules that I go by.  I'm not going to try and name them all here (probably couldn't, anyway--it's very much a "gut feeling" type of thing)--but one of them is that I won't post a comment that contains a link to somewhere.  I usually don't know the site, and don't have the time to look it up and scan it to see if it's something I'm okay with--and I'm not going to allow a link to a site that I don't like.  I don't think that's being fair to you, or to me.

And I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again.  If you like this blog and want to add a link to it on your own blog or website--thank you, and please feel free to do so.  But DON'T insist that you'll only do it if I post a link to your site in return.  That tells me you don't really like my blog, you just want to advertise yours. 

If I see I'm getting traffic from a blog that's not in my blog roll, I'll visit it and check it out.  And if I like what it has to offer or think it has potential, then I'll link to it.  If I don't like it, I'll just leave quietly.  Everyone should be free to make up their own mind.  Don't try to coerce me into adding your link.

That's about it.  All the boring stuff is out of the way.  Let's get back to the blogging fun.  :-)

4 comments:

Alais Na'ar said...

Sounds like a good policy Dr. Ken.

Just wanted to delurk and say I like your blog.

Dr. Ken said...

Alais Na'ar--thanks. It makes sense to me. I'm sure I've made a few "exceptions" in the past, but hey....it's my blog, and I can be inconsistent if I want. :-)

Thanks for the delurk and for liking my blog. It's always good to hear!

Hermione said...

Better safe than sorry.

If I get a comment with a link, Blogger automatically sends it to the Spam folder so I can decide whether I want to approve it or not. Usually it's spam.

Hugs,
Hermione

Dr. Ken said...

Thanks, Hermione. My spam filter catches the stuff that is pure spam. But there are some notes on occasion that are, for the most part, legitimite comments on the blog, but continue a link. They go to moderation, like all comments, and I just won't print them, even though the rest of the message may be on-topic.

I'm sure I've made a few exceptions in the past, but it's still a general rule.