Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Prince Valiant

A while back, I did some posts about spanking and the Archie comics. There were a couple of examples from the actual comic book, as well as a lot of fan art--some of it quite good. Today we're going to take a look at another comic strip--Prince Valiant.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the strip:

"Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur", or simply "Prince Valiant", is a long-run comic strip created by Hal Foster in 1937. It is an epic adventure that has told a continuous story during its entire history, and the full stretch of that story now totals more than 3700 Sunday strips. Currently, the strip appears weekly in more than 300 American newspapers, according to its distributor, King Features Syndicate.

"Edward, the Duke of Windsor, called Prince Valiant the "greatest contribution to English literature in the past hundred years." Generally regarded by comics historians as one of the most impressive visual creations ever syndicated, the strip is noted for its realistically rendered panoramas and the intelligent, sometimes humorous, narrative. The format does not employ word balloons. Instead, the story is narrated in captions positioned at the bottom or sides of panels."

Being a Knight of the Round Table doesn't mean you don't have problems, of course. Especially if you happen to marry a lady who used to Queen of the Misty Isles. As we see in this first example, the Prince knows how to handle her--








While I enjoy the artwork and the amount of detail in each panel, what I like most of all is actually the last two panels shown. The Prince rides away feeling guilty for what he's done, and would return to make amends if not for the fact that duty call. Aleta, his wife, on the other hand, refers to him as a "magnificent beast", and adds that all she wants is for him to return safely from his adventure. If he does, then as far as she is concerned, he can spank her as often as he wishes. Let's hope she got her wish!

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, according to the old saying, so it should come as no surprise that the next drawing features Arn, the son of Valiant and Aleta-





I have no idea as to the identity of the girl in the picture, or why Arn has her tucked under his arm and over his knee. Again, I like the caption--that "Arn learned how this is done by associating with his mother." That could actually be interpreted a couple of ways. The first is that his mother got her wish about Prince Valiant and subsequently got spanked a lot, with Arn observing these episodes on any number of occasions. The second--and probably the most likely--is that Arn got his own fair share of discipline expertly executed by his mother, so when it was time to dish out a spanking to this young lady, he knew exactly what to do. I'm sure his mother would be happy to know that he did "a fair job" of it. I imagine the young lady being spanked has a very different opinion.

I know even less about the next drawing, which doesn't identify any of the participants. One site where I saw this drawing claimed that one of the men was, again, Arn--which would probably earn him the name, "The Spanko Prince"--but looking at the drawing, I'm not really sure. The "tucked under the arm" position does look familiar, though. Either way, it looks like justice--in this case, bottom justice--is going to be done--






(A footnote on the third picture: It turns out that there was another Arn in Valiant's past, an old friend, I think. So this picture is perhaps of THAT Arn, which would explain why he looks nothing like the drawing of Prince V's son.)

Unlike the Archie comics, I could not find much in the way of fan art when it came to the Prince Valiant comic strip. This doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, of course--only that I haven't seen any examples. They could very well be out there. What I did find, though, was someone who took the first picture and put in a little time with Photoshop or a similar program to show Valiant's spanking of Aleta the way it should be--





Now, that's the way to handle a naughty wife! All of you Princes out there, take note!

7 comments:

Michael said...

Excellent post, Dr. Ken, and congrats on Chross selecting it as one of his Spankings of the Week. Great work. :)

Dr. Ken said...

Michael--thanks for the kind words and for letting me know about Chross' pick. I wasn't aware of it until you mentioned it. It's always an honor--and very gratifying-- to be included as one of his "Spankings of the Week"!

ddon said...

boy do i wish you'd loose google and their crappy accounts.

the last pannel has been altered from the original. no bare bottoms in the 50's.

try and find the whole page. it's a goodie.

ddon

Funbun said...

It was me who bared her bottom through a kind of photoshop program.
Funbun
PS: I modified the other piccies as well as I prefer to see the princess spanked on her bare bottom.
Don't know how to post pictures here. If you want to see them please contact me at:
funbun6@gmail.com

Dr. Ken said...

ddon--maybe you should go back and re=read the post. :-)

First off, I don't know what you have against Google, but I'm perfectly happy with them.

Second--I state very clearly that someone altered the last picture for the "bare bottom" result. I'm well aware of the fact it's been changed, especially since the very first picture in the post is of the original drawing.

Third--the first picture IS of the "whole page", although a little was apparently cropped from the left=hand side or lost in the scan.

Dr. Ken said...

Funbun--nice work! I never knew who did the modified pic, but it's really well done!

Celine said...

My family has a cabin on Lake Superior that I've frequented every summer my entire life. When I was a kid, someone left a massive collection of old comic books up there..I used to comb through them looking for spankings. Alas, almost all the comics are gone now, I think my aunt threw them out :( Sometimes, if I can't sleep while I'm there, I still look through what's left. *grin* Once a spanko, always a spanko. Thanks for posting this!