Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blind Date

If I do say so myself, I have a pretty good sense of humor. I love to laugh, and I enjoy making other people laugh. If you've read anything on this blog that has given you a chuckle, I feel like I've done my part. It's always gratifying to bring a smile to someone's face.

When it comes to going to a movie, or renting a movie, I'll always take a comedy over a drama--even a bad comedy over a really good critically acclaimed drama. When I watch TV, I'll go for a half-hour sitcom every time. If I do watch an hour-long drama, you can bet it's one that doesn't take itself too seriously (at least, not all the time) and has a good streak of humor running through it.

The same applies to the blogs I like to read. I prefer something with a lighter tone, one that isn't afraid to have fun. The "Keyword Chaos" posts that Bonnie of My Bottom Smarts writes are a perfect example. The keyword is what people type into their search engines that brings them to the blog. Some of these are funny in their own right, but Bonnie's responses to them always get me going. I still say I'm going to do my own version of that one of these posts. Stay tuned!

Equally funny is the "Correspondence Hall of Shame" that Erica Scott puts on her blog. Rather than keywords, these are sentences that have been sent to her via IM or e-mail. Erica has a very sharp sense of humor, and her responses to some of these just crack me up! I need to put a link up for her blog (note to self).

I tell you all this in an effort to explain how I came to occasionally watch a TV show called, "Blind Date", hosted by Roger Lodge.

Ordinarily I would steer clear of this type of show. Heck, I tend to steer clear of anything that smacks of "reality TV". There are some exceptions, of course, but for the most part, I have no use for that kind of programming.

Like the name implies, "Blind Date" sets two people up with each other and then the camera follows them around on their date. Some of these turn out to be total disasters, some turn out okay but nothing special. In a few instances, the people actually make plans to see each other again for a second date. Some of the things that happen on the date can be funny, and the show constantly makes use of pop-up comments that can be quite humorous. And every now and then--there's a little spanking.

I was clicking the remote one night, flipping through channels when I first came across this show. I then clicked right on by it, but found myself coming back to it. There were some amusing moments, and I sort of filed it away for future reference. I kept stumbling across it over the next few weeks, and one time just happened to tune in when the dating couple were playing Ping-Pong. The stakes? Winner spanks the loser.

Needless to say, I stopped flipping the channels at that point.

There was a similar moment in another episode with the two people playing pool. The lady who lost the game got one or two pretty firm whacks, from the look of things. None of the spankings I've seen have been very long, obviously--a few smacks at the most, and a lot of one-whackers here and there.

The one episode that stands out, though, was one that featured a cute black girl. She had her hair pulled back in a bun, I think, she wore round wire-rim glasses, and had a soft, high-pitched almost little-girl voice. As she and her date are driving to their first destination, they start telling a little bit about themselves, and when it's her turn, one of the first things she says is, "I like to be spanked."

Now, if I had been her date, I would have replied, "Well, then you'd better behave yourself on our date, or we both know what will happen, don't we, young lady?" Of course, telling her that pretty much guarantees that she wouldn't behave herself, and....well....things would have gotten interesting.

Unfortunately, it was clear that her date really didn't have a clue as to how to respond to her statement. I think he said something brilliant, such as, "Really?" Things went downhill from there. She never did get spanked, which was too bad--it could have wound up being their highest rated episode ever!

It's been years since I saw that episode, but I still remember it. And then one day, going through the photos on my hard drive, I came across this picture--and I'll be darned if it doesn't look an awful lot like the girl from Blind Date. The hair, the glasses, the looks in general. I can't help but wonder--could it be the same girl?



And even if it isn't--can I spank her anyway?

No comments: